We had a change table given to us 9 years ago by a friend’s daughter who didn’t need it anymore, it was in pretty good shape even though it was a hand-me-down of a hand-me-down. We have used it daily ever since. However, because it had moved over 5000kms with us, it had some of the white finish worn off in places, but it didn’t really matter to me for awhile. Then, after a few years, it started to bother me and I started hoping it would break so I could get a new-to-me one that was a nice dark colour like some of the newer ones I had seen. But, being me and pretty committed to not buying things that I really don’t need, it was a purchase I knew I would never make.
When the change table was being moved to a greater traffic area in my house because it’s previous spot was being taken over by yet another bookcase, I took a trip into my husband’s workshop to see what I could find there to refinish it. I found a can of flat black spray paint and thought it would be perfect!
First, I took the change table outside. It was pretty sunny and not as windy as usual that day, so it was perfect for spray painting.
I removed the pastel plastic bumper covers that were on the front of the table. It was easier than I thought it would be because they weren’t glued on at all. I simply took a screwdriver and pried up on end and pulled the whole thing off in one piece:
Then, I took a piece of sandpaper that my husband had previously used on his random orbit sander and scuffed up the surface a bit. I used a piece of previously used sandpaper because I only needed to scuff it up a bit, so no point wasting a new piece.
Then, I took some hot, soapy water and washed the whole thing down to get all the dust off of it. I rinsed it with clear water and then let sit outside and dry for an hour or so. I forgot to take a picture of this part
The painting begins… first I put it on two 2X6s that my husband had lying around to get it up off the grass, then started spraying. I ended up using 3.5 cans of flat black spray paint on the entire table. I sprayed the back and all the shelves. The only place I didn’t paint was under the mattress change pad because I knew it would always be covered.
Then, I got my daughters to search through their fabric stash to find a fabric that would match the room and look good with the black. They found some tan that I had purchased for curtains awhile ago but then changed my mind so it was just sitting there waiting to be made into the perfect project.
They measured the change pad and added 2 inches to the width and 4 inches to the length and sewed it up using a 1/2in seam allowance. The reason i had them add 4 inches to the length was so it could be folded over at one end and the extra could go under the pad. They used the selvage edge at the end of the case so they didn’t have to hem that part, or they would have added 5in to the length to account for the hem. It looks and functions quite a bit like a pillowcase for the pad, easy on, easy off. They made 4 in all so they can be removed easily when they get soiled and we always have a cover on the pad.
Now, I have a new looking change table for the price of 3 cans of spray paint (the half can had been given to us)
Check out my daughter’s sewing skills at Zaylarita Boutique on Etsy!